problems with extract.exe

extract.exe doesn't work properly, renaming it to 'extract.exe.bad'.
That's part of the error I get when I run ./Xinstall.sh. I don't think I've
corrupted the extract.exe.bz2 file because I've tried the 'save target as'
method of downloading it and I get the same problem... any thoughts?

----
output from ./Xinstall.sh :
----
uname: not found
uname: not found
uname reports '' version '', architecture ''.

chmod: changing permissions of `extract': No such file or directory
head: not found
extract doesn't work properly, renaming it to 'extract.bad'
mv: preserving times for `extract.bad': No such file or directory
mv: cannot unlink `extract': No such file or directory
mv: cannot remove `extract': No such file or directory
head: not found
extract.exe doesn't work properly, renaming it to
'extract.exe.bad'

The versions of 'extract' and 'extract.exe' you have do not run'
correctly.  Make sure that you have downloaded the correct
binaries for your system.  To find out which is correct,
run 'sh ./Xinstall.sh -check'.

When you have corrected the problem, please re-run 'sh ./Xinstall.sh'
to proceed with the installation.
---