This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin XFree86 project.
Cygwin/XFree86 Build Speedup with Cygwin 1.3.3
- To: "cygx" <cygwin-xfree at cygwin dot com>
- Subject: Cygwin/XFree86 Build Speedup with Cygwin 1.3.3
- From: "Harold Hunt" <huntharo at msu dot edu>
- Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 02:05:36 -0400
The native build time for Cygwin/XFree86 has been improved by roughly 33%
from Cygwin 1.3.2 to Cygwin 1.3.3. Building a full tree, with fonts, used
to take 71 minutes; now it takes 46 minutes. I believe this can primarily
be attributed to one item in the Cygwin 1.3.3 release announcement, since we
build using a tree of symlinks to the CVS tree (via lndir.exe):
- Store symlink contents in extended attribute for speed, if possible.
Native building of Cygwin/XFree86 is now roughly half as fast as cross
compiling under Linux, which is quite an improvement from cross compiling
being 3 to 4 times faster. It was really disappointing to see my P3-550,
running Linux, leaving my Athlon-1200, running Cygwin, in its dust. Both
machines now build, without fonts, in roughly 29 minutes.
Great work guys!