This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin XFree86 project.
- To: cygwin-xfree at sourceware dot cygnus dot com
- Subject: startup scripts
- From: Luc Ferran <Luc dot FERRAN-EXTERNAL at gemplus dot com>
- Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:18:08 +0200
I'm not a specialist, but I've notice the following behaviour when I launch startxwin.(bat|sh) :
- icewm can't restart him self saying that an other window manager is present (true either with vtwm)
- trying to start Xemacs with a special font from startxwin.(bat|sh), the font is not the one I've choose. I've verified that my copmmand line works in an xterm.
So, I've suspected that X server was not finish to start when xemacs command line ask it a font in the startup script. So, I've tried "startx" Xfree86 script supposing that the xinit call have the ability to launch ~/.xinitrc application when X server is ready. And the troubles with icewm and xemacs were solved. More over, because ~/.xinitrc ends with an exec icewm, when I stop icewm, the xserver stops correctly, that was not always true with startxwin.(bat|sh).
Do really think that it's necessary the provide a new X startup mechanism for cygwin-Xfree ?
Or, Is it possible to include the usage of xinit in startxwin.(bat|sh) ?
It's only questions, nothing more!