RE: startx fails with: could not open default font 'fixed'

Ok, I've looked at the FAQ entry, but I could use a little more information.

First of all, the FAQ entry seems slightly wrong.  The paragraph on point
"1" begins thusly:

   Using Xinstall.sh to install Cygwin/XFree86 on a text-mode Cygwin mount
rather than binary-mode mount. You will
   need to change your default Cygwin mount mode to binary-mode and rerun
the Xinstall.sh script ...

If I understand this correctly, the first sentence should have "text-mode"
and "binary-mode" reversed.

One thing that's not completely clear about this is whether I can change the
mount to binary, install XFree86, and then change it back to text mode, and
have everything work.

Now, on the alternative idea of "manually ungziping and untarring", what
exactly do I ungzip and untar, and where do I put it?  The FAQ entry refers
to using a non-Cygwin-aware unpacker, like "Winzip", which I don't presently
have (although I have "jar" from Java, which suffices most of the time, but
probably won't for this).  The FAQ entry also doesn't say what to unpack, or
where to put it.