Re: Cygwin-Xfree for XDM clients

Alexander Gottwald wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Brian Michael Genisio wrote:
<snip>
> > It is really easy to do.  I put these things on a CD, and run from the CD...
> > The only problem with that is that there is no /tmp dir.  So, in my script, I
> > send %temp% (windows default temp space)as a command argument to the bash
> > script, and then use the mount.exe to mount /tmp to %temp%.  Without a writable
> > tmp space, XWin.exe will not start.
> >

> You might also export the environment via samba from your linux box.
> This will save a lot of diskspace and CDs.

I have basically got a XDM client up with nothing but cygwin1.dll,
cygz.dll and XWin.exe.

I have used a font server as suggested.  The dos command is nothing more
than:
C:\FreeXWin\XWin.exe -screen 0 800x600x16 -broadcast -fp
tcp/192.168.0.2:7100

This works fine on a system that has had cygwin installed and then
removed, provided I leave c:\cygwin\tmp as an empty directory.
Presumably it gets this location from the windows registry from the
initial installation of cygwin.

How does one tell the cygwin dll what directory to use for tmp if cygwin
has never actually been installed?  (ie, preferably from a batch file /
environment variable etc)  Or am I required to do a minimal cygwin
install?

Cheers,

Rasjid.