Re: kde 1.1.2 under win95

On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 07:37:10PM -0400, Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:
>I had experiences that Cygwin is often too slow on 95/98/ME.  I used Cygwin
>very rarely on ME/98/95. and was often frustrated because typing for example
>ls in shell types sl.  The problem, which you are seeing, is related to
>Cygwin on Windows 95.

Actually, I'm sure it is possible to speed up cygwin if anyone was
actually interested in doing some basic profiling on Windows 9x.  There
are probably some places where we could optimize things.

The basic problem with cygwin is that it is apparently 100% a user
project.  People will report bugs but very very few people are
interested in tracking the bugs down.

Even on the cygwin-developers mailing list, it is unusual for people to
do more than say "I just noticed that the current CVS doesn't work."

I've seen people report the 'sl' problem, or, rather I did, a year or so
ago.  I have never seen this myself, though.  Since I haven't seen anyone
complain about this in the cygwin mailing list for a long time I wonder
if it is actually somehow fixed.

Well, that was the cgf rant, 101.  It's refreshing to do it in another
mailing list.

One thing that may speed things up is to mount your directories which
contain executables with the '-X' option.  This lets cygwin know that
everything in the directory is a cygwin executable, short circuiting
the hated '#!' testing that slows down disk I/O.

Even mounting directories that *don't* contain executables with this
option will speed things up in many cases.

cgf