RE: FAQ 6.9 about Maximum number of clients reached. How to findtotal # of clients?

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Harold Hunt wrote:

> Scott,
>
> Try the Test44 release that I just made, it bumps the connection limit from
> 32 to 1024:
> http://xfree86.cygwin.com/devel/shadow/

someone told me some time ago that setting ulimit -n <number> sets the
maximum connections for X11 to roucghly the number. What about changing the
startup scripts to set the default to eg. 512?

I don't like the idea of changing dynamic configuration to a static one.

Of cause we should put an entry into the FAQ too.

> > I installed CYGWIN and XFREE recently and followed the Install guide as
> > posted @ xfree.cygwin.com.  The host PC OS is WIN NT.  Install was done
> > 8-7-01.  I have the problem listed in the cygwin-xfree-faq.htm #6.9 about
> > Max Clients reached.  I connect with a XDMCP session to a SUN
> > Solaris 7 and
> > use CDE.  Everything works good untill I exec a command that opens several
> > connections.  I don't think the connections total more than 25.
> > Q1. How to I verify how many connections the client is using?

A1. Run netstat and count the connections to local port 6000.
    netstat | grep " *TCP *[^:]*:6000" | wc --lines
    will give you an count of the connections to the xserver. The number
    of open files may be larger, but not too much.

> > Q2. What other information is needed to provide a complete picture of the
> > problem to help find a resolution?

A2. Set the maximum number of open files for a program to a higher value.
    Run "ulimit -n 1024" from a bash und start XWin from this bash.
    This will set the maximum number of open connections to 1024.

HTH, bye
	ago
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723
 phone: +49 3725 349 80 80	mobile: +49 172 7854017