Re: Multiple Windows

On 14 Aug 2001, Andrew Markebo wrote:

> / Alexander Gottwald <alexander.gottwald@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:
> | On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 Pavel.Rybnicek@intax.cz wrote:
> |

> | > Hi Suhaib and Harold
> | > I find (optional) disabling of background useable, so if it is possible to
> | > do it without some large changes to the code, it could be good feature.
> | > I see (and understand :) that the second case is much harder.
> | >

> | Disabling the background will cause a lot of problems.
>
> Doesn't he mean just transparent background, it is still an x-desktop,
> but with the background of the windows desktop+window windows below
> the window.

But why. If you only see the windows, but can't select them, it's a very
strange behaviour.

> | Most windowmanagers check for events when clicking on the background and
> | popup menus or something. These clicks must either be caught and discarded
>
> For further thoughts.. if you do this, totally remove the x-desktop,
> you probably won't run fvwm or similar, the window 'management' is to
> be taken care of by windows... Reflection X does this quite
> fine.. Meanwhile for the future :-)

This has been mentioned by Harold months ago. But writing such a window
manager is a very complex task. Most important, only few people are
familar with the windowmanager specs. So the first thing would be to
read the wm specs and think about what is possible and how. But we
don't have the time. Maybe someone of those who requested this feature
but are not programmers will read the specs and give an short excerpt.

bye
	ago
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723
 phone: +49 3725 349 80 80	mobile: +49 172 7854017