Re: AW: SETUP WIZARD FOR CYGWIN?XFREE86

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Ralf Habacker wrote:

> [...]

Allow me to rephrase this:

I have installed kde-1.1.2 beta 1 with a setup.ini for easy install (The
upgrade of the cygwin dll went well. This is not trivial!).

Currently it seems to me that the best would be for every project to add
their own cygwin packages, and hopefully those packages will make it into
the contrib (and later: into stable) as fast as possible. Thus the project
will not have to worry about setup.exe , and will not have to worry about
packages.

The "SETUP.EXE" concept is nice, but cygwin is too complex for a simple
installer that is not aware of the current system and the components that
are already installed on it. How will your setup.exe handle upgrading?
(e.g.: are there certain config files that need to be saved?) removal? (I
don't want the cyrillic fonts and the japanese documentation anymore. How
do I remove them?)

So, you see, there is no point in replicating the exiting package
instllation tool (although it can probably be improved). All you need is
to seperate the files that are installed by the XFree installer into
seperate "packages", each in its own tree, pack them as cygwin packages
(simply tar balls of a partials trees) and create an appropriate
setup.ini.

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:tzafrir@technion.ac.il