RE: XDMCP - Solaris 8.4 - CygWin

Stefan,

> This works:
> $[W2K] XWin -screen 0 800x600 &
> $[W2K] xhost + &
>
> $[U60] export DISPLAY=W2K:0
> $[U60] xterm &

Right, that should work, as it has nothing to do with XDMCP.  You knew that
though, right?

> This won't work:
> $ XWin -screen 0 800x600x32 -from W2K -query U60 &
> $ xhost + &
>
> The error I get on W2K is:
> Fatal server error:
> XDMCP fatal error: Manager unwilling Host unwilling
>
> XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server
> "127.0.0.1:0.0"
>       after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

Well, I don't know a lot about XDMCP, but I can tell you that I use it to
connect to my Linux boxes all the time.  Try connecting to another machine
that you know to have a working XDMCP server (such as a Red Hat or Mandrake
machine, which generally come with XDMCP enabled by default).

I remember that people have had problems when trying to run local clients
together with an XDMCP session to a remote host.  Try removing all clients
from your startup scripts, so that the only thing you are running is
XWin -screen 0 800x600 -query U60.  (I haven't had to use the -from
parameter for some time now, you may be a able to drop it as well).

In any case, if the above doesn't help, I think you will need to look for
some general XDMCP documentation or a mailing list for that topic, as this
list isn't specific to XDMCP.  However, do report your results to this list,
as we will then be able to update the User's Guide and FAQ to help other
users that encounter your problem in the future.

Thanks, and good luck,