This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the cygwin project.
Re: Slow performance following upgrade [SOLVED]
- From: Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad at users dot sourceforge dot net>
- To: cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:37:53 -0500
- Subject: Re: Slow performance following upgrade [SOLVED]
- Original-to: shh... don't trust the Trust Suite
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
- Reply-to: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
Zak Johnson wrote:
I've tracked this down to yet another Dodgy Application: "EMBASSY Trust
Suite" by Wave Systems. This inserts wxvault.dll into every process's
DLL list. I disabled that DLL using the Sysinternals Autoruns tool,
rebooted, and all works perfectly.
Didn't we know about that one?
Ah... indeed we did; the fingerprint reader. Dave, you missed one. :-)
This bring up an interesting thought. If chgcheck looks for this sort of
thing, it would probably be a good idea to get the dll list of a process
where that list is known (ok, that's just about any process :-)) and
compare the list we get with what is expected.
Or, put another way... we can check what Hippos are in a Watering Hole
for which we know what Hippos are supposed to be there. Then, any Hippos
that aren't supposed to be there (like, say, the one in the pink tutu
:-D) can be flagged as Dodgy-Looking Hippos.
Patches Thoughtfully Considered -- FLOSS mantra