This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the cygwin project.
FW: activestate perl on cygwin
- From: "Dave Korn" <dave dot korn at artimi dot com>
- To: "Thread TITTTL'd!" <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 19:43:54 -0000
- Subject: FW: activestate perl on cygwin
- Reply-to: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List <cygwin-talk at cygwin dot com>
On 11 January 2007 04:44, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
> I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather... Not
> screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
I feel that the humour potential of this joke is diminished by the use of a
car. You don't get very many passengers in a car. Much better if he's a bus-
or plane- driver. Or even a zeppelin. And the meter of that final clause is
all wrong; the punchline is "passengers", and anything after that just gives
time for the impact to diminish before you've even finished telling it. Much
punchier if you say
I hope I die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather.... Not
kicking and screaming like his passengers.
[ Yes, I am aware you are not personally responsible for the wording of
entries in your quotes file! ]
Can't think of a witty .sigline today....