Re: Fixing strace and cygcheck so that they work with mount -X

On 13-May-2005 22:54, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

>On Fri, 13 May 2005, Michael Schaap wrote:

>>>Why, set the Cygwin desktop icon to "the hippo", of course...
>>>

>>Hmm... tricky...
>>

>Not if readshortcut/mkshortcut are available. ;-)

PTC.  ;-)

>>>Unless you'd rather finish Brian's dancing hippo (i.e., insert the
>>>Cygwin logo in all frames), then cygcheck could pop up a browser with
>>>that animation instead.
>>>	Igor
>>>

>>Well, I'm a bit artistically challenged, so I'll leave that to someone
>>else, but the latter part is easy - I attached a patch to do just that.
>>
>>Hippopotamical regards,
>> - Michael
>>

>Three small comments on the patch:
>
>+/* Hippo URL */
>+#define HIPPO_URL "http://dessent.net/tmp/cyghippo.jpg";;
>
>The .jpg file won't have the animation -- I'd make that a .gif, and
>hope that either Brian completes the graphic endeavour, or, in case
>someone else does, Brian will post the result on his web site.  However,
>as a temp measure this would do, and you could always release a new
>cygstart if an animated GIF is announced.

Indeed, it's probably best to point to this URL for now - it works, at
least - and point to an Official Cygwin Hippo URL once we have an
Official Cygwin Hippo Animation.  (Which should probably be hosted on
cygwin.com.  Or perhaps on all mirror servers, and cygstart --hippo
would pick the nearest mirror automagically.)

>+        { "hippo", '\0', POPT_ARG_NONE, NULL, 'i', \
>                                               ^^^
>Why '-i'?  Wouldn't '-H' (big-h) be more appropriate?

It would, but it's already taken for --hide.  So -i, being the next
available character.
(And in any case, neither -H for --hide and -i for --hippo actually
work, it's only used internally by popt.  I think...)

>+          "Show the Cygwin Hippo!", NULL},
>
>Shouldn't this be "Show me the Hippo!"? :-)

Good catch!

Thanks for the code review.  Too bad that it's all for
nothing^H^H^H^H^H^H^H fun, since, obviously, we're never going to
release this.  :-)

 - Michael