Re: fortune maintainer wanted and question for Corinna (was Re: Obscene content in cygwin file.)

Andrew DeFaria wrote:

> What the hell is some other employee doing snooping around your computer
> to view these files?!? To me *that's* a hostile work environment created
> by the snooping employee!

I don't really think employers would be searching for naughty fortune
files per se... However, workplace harassment is a big deal to large
companies, and so lots of them probably search employee computers (and
browsing history/access records) for porn, off-color emails/jokes, and
such.  It makes a great deal of sense to do this, since pron and the
like wastes employee time, infects windoze with malware, and can lead to
other employees feeling disgusted or harassed if they happened to
stumble on it on the system -- such as if it's on a network drive or
it's being backed up as part of regular procedure.  So yes a lot of
corporations take that kind of thing seriously.  Besides, in almost all
the cases the company owns the computers and the network connection and
can dictate in exactly what way they are to be used, so it's completely
their right to scan for things that shouldn't be there.

Brian