This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Patch to optionally disable overlapped pipes
- From: Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin-patches at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 23:12:37 -0500
- Subject: Re: Patch to optionally disable overlapped pipes
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <037b01cf00fc$11014c10$3303e430$ at motionview3d dot com>
- Reply-to: cygwin-patches at cygwin dot com
On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 11:01:21PM -0000, James Johnston wrote:
>As I have recently mentioned on the main Cygwin mailing list, Cygwin by
>default creates FILE_FLAG_OVERLAPPED named pipes for the standard file
>handles (stdin/stdout/stderr). These overlapped pipes require all programs
>using ReadFile/WriteFile to use overlapped I/O when using the pipes.
Thanks for the patch but Cygwin has been using overlapped I/O with pipes
for many years. They are a requirement for proper operation with
signals. We try to be very sparing when adding new options and we're
not going to add an option to make things work less reliably.