This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Questions and a RFC [was Re: Assignment from Nicholas Wourmsarrived]
Nicholas Wourms wrote:
Planning ahead for future possibilities is always a good thing, so in
that respect this seems like a sound idea. Since we are already
dealing with ABI breakage, I thought I'd float this now to see what
people think. Would a change like this be of benefit to Cygwin?
Hell no. I am irrevocably and unalterably opposed to implementing this
change before 1.5.2 goes gold.
We've already had THREE ABI breakages in the last month. Now, you want
to add another one -- to avoid one in the future.
Here's an idea: lets wait until the NEXT scheduled ABI breakage to do
yours; then we'll get two for the price of one.
Right now, cygwin-1.5.x is overdue by several months. It NEEDS to go
out the door; we can continually add more ABI breakages forever and
never release a new version...but that's rather silly IMO.
That's perfectly fine with me, you point is well made.