Re: Console codepage setting via chcp?

On Sep 26 14:20, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> So, the modified list alongside your proposal looks like this:
>
> - System objects will always be *initially* translated using UTF-8. This
>   includes file names, user names, and initial environment variables.
> - By setting the locale environ variables you can switch the charset
>   used to translate filenames on a per-process base.
>   This would be only a stop-gap measure, to allow to re-use old archives
>   or scripts.  Those should be converted to UTF-8 ASAP.  Expect complaints.

Chucks generous 0.25 votes for
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2009-09/msg00050.html reminded me
of something which may be unclear.

When I say "switch the charset [...] of filenames on a per-process
base", I meant to say, *only* the paths of filenames which are opened
within the process itself.  There won't be any mechanism to convert
filenames stored in fhandlers inherited by the parent process.  The
maximum concession would be to translate the CWD and the environment
variable $PATH from my POV.  If that's insufficient, there are three
choices:

 - "Use UTF-8"
 - "PTC"
 - "Will be fixed in 1.7.x"