Re: Moving on from Cygwin

On 27/06/18 23:09, SPC wrote:
I have reviewed the list of packages maintained by David so far. I have
identified three packages of simple maintenance at least in appearance:

- mscgen
- ninvaders
- words

All of these are effectively dead upstream:

- The last release of 'mscgen' was in 2011. There have been a handful of commits since then [1], but nothing since January 2015. I carry some of these commits as patches. As well as being useful in its own right, mscgen is needed in Cygwin to provide the '\msc' command in doxygen.

- 'ninvaders' was last released in 2003(!). I include three patches - I neglected to note the source of these, but they were probably from Debian.

- 'words' is a dictionary from the Moby project. This doesn't exist anymore, and so the source file is pulled from a 2006 mirror on the Wayback Machine! I include a couple of patches from Fedora to correct some misspelled words and add the names of US presidents.

So the actual maintenance of these packages is going to be extremely light. There are unlikely to be any new upstream versions. You'll just need to rebuild them for any change in their dependencies, or to add patches from the major distros.

I prefer to be cautious since I do not know the rules of maintenance and
publication of packages under Cygwin. I would need to have information
about it.

On the other hand, any comment about the matter is appreciated and welcome.

Start here [2].

Hope this helps,

Dave.

[1] - https://code.google.com/archive/p/mscgen/source/default/commits