This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: [ITP] moreutils 0.61
On 16/11/2017 15:08, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
On Wednesday 15 November 2017 at 08:52 pm +0000, Tony Kelman wrote:
- parallel: run multiple jobs at once
I'm guessing setup-*.exe doesn't have the ability to detect and handle
this sort of conflict, but I can see a bunch of alternative options:
- Do nothing for now and deal with the problem as and when someone
ITPs GNU parallel.
- Add detection for this sort of conflict somehow, and refuse to allow
users to install conflicting packages.
I'm pretty sure already have some undiagnosed conflicts like this
already, so a potential future one isn't any great impairment.
Marking packages as mutually conflicting is perhaps within reach, as
it's something that would be relatively straightforward with
Automatically detecting such packages is more work, but something that
could also be done.
- Document the conflict in release announcements but otherwise do
nothing, and allow the packages to overwrite each other if both are
- Rename moreutils parallel (e.g. `mparallel`) so it doesn't conflict.
- As and when GNU parallel is packaged, rename it (e.g. `gparallel`)
so it doesn't conflict.
- Just refuse to package one or the other for Cygwin.
I'm leaning towards either doing nothing and leaving it as a problem for
Yeah, laziness and inertia solve all problems, because if you wait long
enough, the problems go away :)