This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: how to manage 2 guile version
- From: Yaakov Selkowitz <yselkowitz at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 11:01:01 -0500
- Subject: Re: how to manage 2 guile version
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- Authentication-results: ext-mx10.extmail.prod.ext.phx2.redhat.com; dmarc=none (p=none dis=none) header.from=cygwin.com
- Authentication-results: ext-mx10.extmail.prod.ext.phx2.redhat.com; spf=none smtp.mailfrom=yselkowitz at cygwin dot com
- Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.11.0 mx1.redhat.com 6F4A6624DF
- Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.2 mx1.redhat.com 6F4A6624DF
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20170328071146.GE1836@debbie.mshome.net>
On 2017-03-28 02:11, szgyg wrote:
FWIW guile 2.2.0 was released two weeks ago . Mostly works, but it
still has failing tests .
So we probably should take this into consideration *now*, even though
most guile consumers aren't ready for the changes in 2.2 yet.
Fortunately, it seems guile itself has taken their own instability into
Although looking at packages which use guile, most haven't fully adapted
to this yet (guile-config is still used by some, and it doesn't seem
anyone is using pkg-config to find guile and guild), so we still need to
provide unversioned binaries/scripts in /usr/bin for now.
It's way too early to make 2.2 "the" guile, so I think we stick with a
versioned guile1.8 for the stragglers, and 'guile' being 2.0 for now,
but eventually transitioning to a versioned 'guile2.0'. We'll have to
take another look at this once the real world has adapted to 2.2.