This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Building from source packages
- From: Jon Turney <jon dot turney at dronecode dot org dot uk>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 14:53:46 +0100
- Subject: Re: Building from source packages
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <e04b604a-3e2a-80b2-5653-b1eeac1ae395 at dronecode dot org dot uk> <k8bcjb97bglvo8o2i49rmaogpl90ljqq17 at 4ax dot com>
On 13/05/2016 20:44, Andrew Schulman wrote:
* a few packages mistakenly use DEPENDS
A few packages mistakenly use DEPENDS rather than DEPEND, which is
I'm surprised none of them are mine. It confuses me every time that I have to
use REQUIRES, but DEPEND instead of DEPENDS. I have to go look it up again once
or twice a month.
To minimize the cognitive load on maintainers' brains, I humbly propose that
cygport honor both REQUIRE and REQUIRES, and DEPEND and DEPENDS.
Or it that's too ugly, make them both of the same form, i.e. REQUIRE and DEPEND.
A one-time backwards-incompatible change that would make things easier in the
Yes, I get confused by it too, which is how I noticed this problem. But
I'm not sure how to fix this.
I wonder if it's possible to check the set of variables which exist
after evaluating the cygport file, and warn if there are unexpected ones.
(Any existing uses of temporary variables inside a cygport file would
have to be unset before it exits to avoid warning about them, but that
seems a fair price to pay...)