This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Process for retiring a subpackage
- From: Adam Dinwoodie <adam at dinwoodie dot org>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 12:24:06 +0000
- Subject: Re: Process for retiring a subpackage
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20160317120414 dot GT29016 at dinwoodie dot org> <56EAD16D dot 70003 at cygwin dot com>
On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 10:46:53AM -0500, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> On 2016-03-17 07:04, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> >Per previous discussion on this list, I'm planning on retiring the
> >separate packaging of Bash completion scripts in the packages I
> >maintain, and folding the files into the main package. I can't find any
> >documentation that'll hold my hand through that process, so can somebody
> >with the relevant arcane knowledege check my understanding of what's
> >Taking git-completion as an example, where I'm moving all the contents
> >from that package into the main git package:
> >- For the first release that obsoletes git-completion:
> > - Create the main git package in such a way that it contains the files
> > that would previously have been in git-completion.
> > - Create a dummy git-completion package that:
> Just leave this in indefinitely.
Ah, handy! One thing that's missing, which I suspect is a bug in
Cygport: I'd expect the git-completion package produced after adding
that would have a category of "_obsolete", but I needed to define
git_completion_CATEGORY for that to happen.