This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Process for retiring a subpackage
- From: Adam Dinwoodie <adam at dinwoodie dot org>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 12:04:14 +0000
- Subject: Process for retiring a subpackage
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
Per previous discussion on this list, I'm planning on retiring the
separate packaging of Bash completion scripts in the packages I
maintain, and folding the files into the main package. I can't find any
documentation that'll hold my hand through that process, so can somebody
with the relevant arcane knowledege check my understanding of what's
Taking git-completion as an example, where I'm moving all the contents
from that package into the main git package:
- For the first release that obsoletes git-completion:
- Create the main git package in such a way that it contains the files
that would previously have been in git-completion.
- Create a dummy git-completion package that:
- Has a dependency on the git package (which it normally does
- Has a category of "_obsolete".
- Has no actual content.
- Create the rest of the release as normal.
- For following releases:
- Continue to create all the packages as normal (excluding
- Don't bother to create new versions of the git-completion package.
The above process is cobbled together from memory of emails going past
this list, so I'd appreciate someone checking I've understood correctly.