Re: Questions on package adoption conventions

On Oct 31 00:18, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 30/10/2015 23:25, Mark Geisert wrote:
> >>
> >>Upload instructions:
> >>https://sourceware.org/cygwin-apps/package-upload.html
> >
> >D'oh, users download source packages from cygwin.com, of course.
> >
> >I was confused by the SRC_URI= line in cygutils.cygport.  Does that
> >merely indicate where this package came from at the time the .cygport
> >file was written, or does it denote a commitment by the maintainer to
> >continue hosting the package from that URI?  If the latter, that's why I
> >was asking about access methods.  Is SRC_URI required?
>
> SRC_URI is the URI for the upstream source.
>
> cygport's fetch (aka download) subcommand will fetch the upstream source
> from the specified SRC_URI
>
> cygutils is somewhat a special case as cygwin is the upstream :)
>
> The sources are in CVS at pserver:anoncvs@sourceware.org:/cvs/cygwin-apps,
> but the tarballs seem to be hosted on fruitbat.org at the moment.
>
> I think the best thing to do is to ask for that CVS to be migrated to git,

Done:

  git clone git://sourceware.org/git/cygwin-cygutils.git

  Gitweb: https://sourceware.org/git/?p=cygwin-cygutils.git

Mark, if you're going to maintain the project, you probably want to
make changes to the git repo.  For that you need ssh access to
sourceware.org AKA cygwin.com.  Pleae use the form at

  https://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/pdw/ps_form.cgi

to request SSH access to sware.  Project is "cygwin-apps", Use my
email address for the approver field.

> then the cygport can be written to fetch the source directly from a
> specified tag in git, since this will avoid the need for you to make
> tarballs and work out where to host them.

E.g.

  GIT_URI="git://cygwin.com/git/newlib-cygwin.git"
  GIT_TAG="..."

HTH,

Red Hat