Re: [Attn Maintainer] octave

On 5/29/2015 9:22 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:

The site octaverc has code that tries to keep the package directory
up-to-date.  That's a no-no, since normal users don't have permission to
change files under /usr/lib.

/usr/share/octave/site/m/startup/octaverc is updating
  "/usr/share/octave/packages"
if any subdirectory under "/usr/share/octave/" has been added
or removed, to update the octave package database.

Why do you see actions under "/usr/lib" ?

See note on:
https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2014-08/msg00033.html

Could you please remove that code and put the update into a post-install
script?

It is build as such as a normal post-install script will not work.

I will look if I can find a mechanism that allow a common approach for the 50s octave-* packages.

In the past these problems make another solution impossible:

- the script must run octave and due to octave lib dependency a fork failures on 32bit was almost guarantee.

- the script must run for any postinstall - postremove of any
  octave-* (forge packages). So
  1) it will be heavy to run it 50 times, it must be a common one.
  2) we have no post remove.
  3) If also octave is removed the post remove must not run.

- /usr/share/octave/packages does not exist if the database is empty
  so I can not change its permission in the postinstall phase before
  its creation.

Regards
Marco

Regards,