Re: [ITP] Sendmail 8.14.9

On Aug 22 07:43, D. Boland wrote:
> Hi Corinna,
>
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >
> > On Aug 14 21:05, D. Boland wrote:
> > > Hi group,
> > >
> > > I intend to package the Cygwin version of Sendmail, version 8.14.9.
> > >
> > > sdesc: "The Mail Transfer Agent"
> > > ldesc: "General purpose internetwork email routing facility that supports many kinds
> > > of
> > >  mail-transfer and delivery methods, including SMTP, SMTPS (STARTTLS), SMTPA (AUTH)
> > >  used for email transport over the internet."
> > > category: Mail
> > > requires: m4 procmail tcp_wrappers cyrus-sasl cygrunsrv cygwin
> > > version: 18.14.9-0
> > >
> > > http://cygwin.boland.nl/x86/release/sendmail/
> >
> > Same as with procmail.  There's no "version" tag and the package should
> > be using cygport packaging.  This also makes sure that the setup.hint
> > file will be crated correctly, btw., since that's automatic then.
>
> I re-packaged Sendmail with cygport. See:
>
> http://cygwin.boland.nl/x86/release/sendmail/

Packaging looks good in theory.

Unfortunately we have a problem.

On inspection of your binary package I noticed that we have conflicts
with exim and ssmtp packages:

- /usr/bin/mailq and /usr/bin/newaliases are provided by exim and
  your sendmail package.

- /usr/sbin/sendmail is either a binary (sendmail itself) or it will
  be installed as symlink by either /usr/bin/exim-config or
  /usr/sbin/ssmtp-config.

If Christian Franke's postfix port will ever fly, we have YA sendmail,
mailq, and newaliases symlinks to worry about.

Exim is Pierre's package and 32 bit only, ssmtp is my package (I had
to take over because the previous maintainer disappeared) and exists
for both architectures.

What we'll have to do to fix this problem is to convert all three
packages to use alternatives.  The alternatives package exists and is
already used by a couple of other packages which would otherwise
conflict, so there's precendent.  And on Fedora, the various mail
packages all use alternatives, too, to install their packages in
parallel and conflict-free.

And no, I'm not overly familiar with alternatives myself, but I will
convert my ssmtp package ASAP.

Pierre, any chance you could convert exim pretty quickly as well?
Otherwise sendmail is hanging in a limbo...

Thanks,

Red Hat