This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: man-db: cache handling
- From: Yaakov Selkowitz <yselkowitz at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 11:40:41 -0500
- Subject: Re: man-db: cache handling
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1406045560 dot 1920 dot 8 dot camel at YAAKOV04>
On 2014-07-22 11:12, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
There are a few issues with the current man-db setup:
1) the cache is not strictly necessary for operation of man(1);
2) mandb -c is quite slow with a large number of manpages (~20min on my
3) generating the cache only during man-db postinstall doesn't help for
manpages updated or added between man-db releases.
Therefore, we need to discuss further how to best handle the man-db
cache. In the meantime, to help avoid user complaints, could you ship a
new release without the postinstall/preremove?
I'm hoping you're just on vacation atm. Because of the continued user
complaints, I went ahead and released a -2 without the cache
postinstall/preremove. Some missing runtime deps have also been
reported and are fixed on sourceware. Please resync with the following
in order to avoid any regressions: