Re: zsh for x86_64 uploaded

Hi Peter,

On Aug  7 16:36, Peter A. Castro wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Aug 2013, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> >Hi guys,
> >Hi Peter,
>
> Greetings, Corinna,
>
> >I just uploaded a 64 bit zsh-5.0.2-1 package.  I did not convert it to
> >cygport but kept the g-b-s build script (mostly) intact.
> >
> >Only two patches were necessary, one of them dropping
> >--host=i686-pc-cygwin  and --target =i686-pc-cygwin from the configury,
> >the other was replacing a call to cygwin_conv_to_posix_path with a call
> >to cygwin_conv_path in builtin.c since the old, deprecated
> >cygwin_conv_to_XXX API doesn't exist on x86_64 anymore.  The patch is
> >fortunately target independent.
>
> Thanks for doing this.
> I've been too busy to devote time to Cygwin lately and I still don't
> have access to 64-bit windows to do the porting.

As I already stated in other mail on this list, if you have a machine
with 64 bit hardware, you can just create a virtual machine with the
VM of choice and install an evaluation version of Windows Server 2012
from Microsoft:

  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/hh708764.aspx

The eval runs for 180 days.

> As it turns out, someone else tried building zsh on Cygwin recently
> and hit this same problem (cygwin_conv_to_posix_path).  I believe
> it's been fixed upstream, but I'll verify that when I grab the
> latest zsh release.
>
> BTW, how hard would it be to move to cygport?  Is it worth the trouble?

Using cygport is usually simple.  The more autotool-oriented the package
is, the easier it gets.  Here's an example of a full autotoolized
package:

  $ cat fetchmail.cygport
  NAME="fetchmail"
  VERSION="6.3.22"
  RELEASE=1
  CATEGORY="Mail"
  SUMMARY="A remote mail retrieval and forwarding utility"
  DESCRIPTION="Fetchmail is a remote mail retrieval and forwarding utility
  [...]"
  SRC_URI="mirror://sourceforge/fetchmail.berlios/${P}.tar.xz"

Here's a package which needs an installation tweak:

  $ cat file.cygport
  NAME="file"
  VERSION="5.13"
  RELEASE=1
  CATEGORY="Utils Base"
  SUMMARY="Determines file type using 'magic' numbers"
  DESCRIPTION="With file you can obtain information on the file type of a
  [...]"
  SRC_URI="ftp://ftp.astron.com/pub/file/${P}.tar.gz";

  CYGCONF_ARGS="--enable-fsect-man5"

  src_install() {
	  cd ${B}
	  cyginstall

	  # As on Fedora, create the magic file and the usual links to it.
	  set +x
	  cat ${S}/magic/Magdir/* > "${D}/usr/share/misc/magic"
	  ln -s misc/magic "${D}/usr/share/magic"
	  mkdir -p "${D}/usr/share/file"
	  ln -s ../magic "${D}/usr/share/file/magic"
  }

Here's an example for a package which isn't set up to be build outside
the source tree, which isn't autotoolized, and which has sources in CVS
only:

  $ cat mt.cygport
  NAME="mt"
  VERSION="2.3.3"
  RELEASE=2
  CATEGORY="Utils"
  SUMMARY="Magnetic Tape manipulation utility"
  DESCRIPTION="Magnetic Tape manipulation utility"
  HOMEPAGE="http://cygwin.com/";

  CVS_URI=":pserver:anoncvs@cygwin.com:/cvs/cygwin-apps"
  CVS_BRANCH="mt-${PV//\./_}-release"
  inherit cvs

  src_compile() {
    cd ${S}
    lndirs
    cd ${B}
    comp=$(type -p ${ARCH}-pc-cygwin-gcc)
    cygmake CC=${comp:-gcc}
  }

It can get more complicated than that, but you get the idea.  If you
have problems, have a look into other cygport files and don't hesitate
to ask on this list.

> >Zsh seems to run fine as far as my limited testing goes.
>
> Since there was an existing 5.0.2-1 (32-bit) and since there was a
> revision to the source package and since the changes could be
> applied to both 32-bit and 64-bit, you probably should have made
> this 5.0.2-2 instead, but, hey, no worries.  I'll sync things up
> once I get a 64-bit Win running. :-)

Cool, thanks!

Red Hat