Re: [ITP] astrometry.net-0.38-1

On 11/4/2011 11:11 AM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
software is quite unpolished.

From reading the web page, it appears to be a research project by a couple of grad students -- with goals of supporting amateur and even professional astronomers by automating what is currently a labor-intensive task.

So...like all research projects, it appears to suffer from "get-it-done-itis" focused on Linux and/or BSD, with little attention paid to portability. That's...problematic when going to any flavor of win32, including cygwin.

I mean really: hand-editing makefiles? no configure scripts (some subdirs have them, but they are invoked as part of the top-level make, which doesn't).

IMO the whole thing needs to be autotoolized, but I'm not going there.

OTOH, I just spent a couple hours adding $(EXE) to about a thousand makefile rules, only to watch it blow up because of some built-in rule I can't turn off (where is it COMING from!!!??) that adds "foo.exe.o" to the dependencies and then looks for "foo.exe.c" to build it...Aaarrrggh....

--
Chuck