This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: ITA: gcc-mingw-* gcc-3 -mno-cygwin support packages; ITP: mingw-binutils/mingw-gcc-* cross compiler
- From: Charles Wilson <cygwin at cwilson dot fastmail dot fm>
- To: Mailing List: CygWin-Apps <cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 12:22:23 -0400
- Subject: Re: ITA: gcc-mingw-* gcc-3 -mno-cygwin support packages; ITP: mingw-binutils/mingw-gcc-* cross compiler
- References: <4CEC401E.email@example.com> <20101124004126.GA14101@ednor.casa.cgf.cx> <4CEC883A.firstname.lastname@example.org> <20101124050652.GB10552@ednor.casa.cgf.cx> <4CECA56F.email@example.com> <4D0A45D5.firstname.lastname@example.org> <4D2CBAB4.email@example.com>
- Reply-to: Charles Wilson <cygwin at cwilson dot fastmail dot fm>
On 1/11/2011 3:16 PM, Charles Wilson wrote:
> On 12/16/2010 12:01 PM, Charles Wilson wrote:
>> On 11/24/2010 12:41 AM, Charles Wilson wrote:
>>> On 11/24/2010 12:06 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>> Do you have the gcc package now?
>>>> If so, I'll download it and attempt to
>>>> create a binutils wrapper to work with it. I'm really not keen on
>>>> having a drawn out discussion about this. Maybe I'll come to the
>>>> conclusion that it's not worth the effort but given that I've done this
>>>> kind of thing before, have been working with cross compilers for twelve
>>>> years, and have been writing cross compiler wrappers for six years, I'd
>>>> need to be see it fail myself.
>>> Well, if it's That Easy(tm) then it sounds like a decent idea. Although
>>> I've worked with embedded compilers (which are all cross- by nature,
>>> obviously) quite a bit over the last four or five years, I was a tool
>>> user -- not a tool writer. So, creating an ld wrapper from my end
>>> appears more tricky than it might from your end.
>>>> If I can't make a wrapper then I'll support binutils for mingw.
>>> We still would need the "real" ld to have been configured with
>>> --with-sysroot[=/usr?]. libtool's cross- support works much better if
>>> the toolchain (gcc and ld) support it, and libtool.m4 checks for it, if
>>> the package using libtool is configured with --with-sysroot[=...]
>> cgf, any progress on creating a wrapper for mingw-binutils? If it's
>> turning out to be difficult, could we go ahead with a "real"
>> cross-configured mingw-binutils, and then maybe later update it with one
>> that installs simple wrapper .exe's that munge argv and exec the
>> cygwin binaries?
On 1/12/2011 11:41 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> I am working on this slowly. I'd hoped to have things working
> over the Christmas break but didn't hit that goal.