GNOME deprecations

The last scheduled GNOME 2.30 release has been made, with GNOME 3.0 due
in September.  GNOME 3.0 will still use glib2.0, atk1.0, pango1.0, and
gdk-pixbuf2.0 (which will be a separate source package again), but will
add new parallel-installable 3.0 versions of GTK+ and all GTK+-dependent
libraries. At the same time, support for deprecated 2.x libraries will
be dropped.

Accordingly, I now consider the following packages (and their
subpackages) OBSOLETE:

GTK+ 1.2:
glib
gtk+
gtk-engines
imlib

Deprecated GNOME 2 libraries:
esound
gnome-vfs2
libart_lgpl_2
libbonobo2
libbonoboui2
libglade2.0
libgnome2
libgnomecanvas2
libgnomeprint2.2
libgnomeprintui2.2
libgnomeui2
libgtkhtml2
libIDL2
ORBit2

In addition, the following packages will be first considered deprecated
this fall, meaning they will still be supported for a while but their
usage should decrease rapidly next year:

dbus-glib (replaced by glib2.0 GDbus API)
GConf2 (replaced by glib2.0 GSettings API and dconf backend)
gtk2.0 (replaced by gtk3.0)
gtk2.0-engines (replaced by gtk3.0-engines)

There are a number of newer 2.x libraries in Ports which I never got
around to ITPing.  At this point, as they will be replaced this fall by
separate 3.x versions, I suppose I'll just wait until then in order to
minimize cruft in the distro.

Yaakov