general setup.exe status incl network install [was Re: setup ChangeLog IniDBBuilder.h IniDBBuilderPac ...]

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Btw., is setup finished for the 1.7.1 release with this patch or is
> there more to come?

  Can't speak for cgf, but from my side, I've got all my new features done.  I
just discovered YA loop-retrying-forever-in-unattended mode bug, which I'll
spin up a patch for shortly, but I don't think it's terribly critical as it'll
only happen if there's a corrupt mirror, which is an uncommon enough occurrence.

  Also I think it would be nice if we could figure out what's going on with
Thomas' network install in the time remaining, but I don't think we should
delay the release any for it.

  I gave it a try and produced an oddity, although possibly just as an
artifact of the way I did it: instead of creating a share, I mapped the
default admin //sever/I$ share of my main PC as Z: over SMB from inside a VM
and installed it to that drive.  Everything appeared to go OK during
setup.exe, but in fact the /tmp dir got created with a bad ACL making it
unwritable, and as a consequnce I got shell failures during the postinstall
scripts and when running the base-files initial setup; you can't create here
docs if the /tmp dir is r-o.

  I haven't yet figured out what exactly went wrong, but one clue is that -
now looking at the created dirs on my main box where they appeared on the I:
drive - the ACL of the /tmp dir is weird.  Here for comparison is the ACL of
the /usr dir, seen from the host (remote) side:

> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>cacls i:\cygremotewin\usr
> i:\cygremotewin\usr BUILTIN\Administrators:F
>                     UBIK\None:R
>                     Everyone:R
>                     CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
>                     CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)R
>                     Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)R

  Here's how setup.exe created the /tmp dir:

> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>cacls i:\cygremotewin\tmp
> i:\cygremotewin\tmp BUILTIN\Administrators:F
>                     UBIK\None:(special access:)
>                               READ_CONTROL
>                               SYNCHRONIZE
>                               FILE_GENERIC_READ
>                               FILE_GENERIC_WRITE
>                               FILE_GENERIC_EXECUTE
>                               FILE_READ_DATA
>                               FILE_WRITE_DATA
>                               FILE_APPEND_DATA
>                               FILE_READ_EA
>                               FILE_WRITE_EA
>                               FILE_EXECUTE
>                               FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES
>                               FILE_WRITE_ATTRIBUTES
>
>                     Everyone:(special access:)
>                              READ_CONTROL
>                              SYNCHRONIZE
>                              FILE_GENERIC_READ
>                              FILE_GENERIC_WRITE
>                              FILE_GENERIC_EXECUTE
>                              FILE_READ_DATA
>                              FILE_WRITE_DATA
>                              FILE_APPEND_DATA
>                              FILE_READ_EA
>                              FILE_WRITE_EA
>                              FILE_EXECUTE
>                              FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES
>                              FILE_WRITE_ATTRIBUTES
>
>                     <Account Domain not found>(special access:)
>                                               FILE_READ_DATA
>
>                     CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
>                     CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)(special access:)
>                                               READ_CONTROL
>                                               SYNCHRONIZE
>                                               FILE_GENERIC_READ
>                                               FILE_GENERIC_WRITE
>                                               FILE_GENERIC_EXECUTE
>                                               FILE_READ_DATA
>                                               FILE_WRITE_DATA
>                                               FILE_APPEND_DATA
>                                               FILE_READ_EA
>                                               FILE_WRITE_EA
>                                               FILE_EXECUTE
>                                               FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES
>                                               FILE_WRITE_ATTRIBUTES
>
>                     Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)(special access:)
>                                          READ_CONTROL
>                                          SYNCHRONIZE
>                                          FILE_GENERIC_READ
>                                          FILE_GENERIC_WRITE
>                                          FILE_GENERIC_EXECUTE
>                                          FILE_READ_DATA
>                                          FILE_WRITE_DATA
>                                          FILE_APPEND_DATA
>                                          FILE_READ_EA
>                                          FILE_WRITE_EA
>                                          FILE_EXECUTE
>                                          FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES
>                                          FILE_WRITE_ATTRIBUTES

  Hmm, what?  That thing that says "Account Domain not found" shows up in the
explorer properties dialog security tab as "S-1-0-0", or if I run the cacls
command from the VM guest side, it is described as "NULL SID", which is
probably because the VM is XP and the host is 2k and MS only made cacls.exe
smart enough to recognize the null sid in the XP version, but that doesn't
explain what it's doing there in the first place!

  Does this symptom suggest any possibilities to anyone?

    cheers,
      DaveK