Re: [HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 12:24:46PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 11:39:16AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>On Apr 15 20:51, Lapo Luchini wrote:
>>> PS: my only WinXP box is still waiting for his motherboard back from RMA...
>>> I'll try qemu to test cygwin-1.7 and, if it's not too slow, produce updated
>>> packages for both 1.5 and 1.7 (or is 1.7 "near enough" that is better to
>>> update that first?).
>>
>>We will not make 1.7 an official release for some time.  For the official
>>release, please stick to 1.5.  You can create update packages for 1.7
>>for your local installation, but let's wait a couple of days uploading
>>1.7 packages until Chris changed the release area to use unionfs.
>
>I played around a little more with this and found some problems that I
>have to investigate.  When I move a file into the area from another
>directory it gives an error.  That isn't really a big deal but I don't
>like putting things into production with known problems unless I have a
>vague understanding of the problem.  So it will be a couple more days
>before I have the time to track this down.
>
>The size of this new, purged area is: 1926596K bytes.
>
>(I fixed my purge script)

The new directory has been set up.  release-2 is a union file system with
the standard cygwin release as a read-only component of the directory.  I
removed the _obsolete directory, and should have removed everything which
was in the obsolete Category.  I've indiscriminately purged any package which
sorted lexically less (using the upset version sort algorithm) than what
seemed to be the most recent package.

Since most of what I did was automated, I probably ended up deleting too
much.  Please take a look at the package directories that you maintain
and verify that the release-2 directory contains something that makes
sense.

cgf