Re: [HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

On Apr  2 14:35, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Having said that, I would like to ask especially you package maintainers
> to set up a separate machine or a separate cygwin directory for the 1.7
> release.  Right now we have the problem that the mount points in the
> registry are still shared between a 1.5 and a 1.7 release, so you will
> have to create some batch files to switch the mount points between the
> two installations, if you do this on a single machine.  That's a bit of
> a hassle, but it's doable, ok?

I have applied a preliminary patch to Cygwin which allows to load the
mount entries from /etc/fstab and /etc/fstab.<usersid>.  If none of
these files is available, the DLL falls back to reading the mount points
from the registry.

This allows to install a 1.7 Cygwin tree which is independent from a
parallel 1.5.x installation in terms of mount points.  It's still not a
good idea to *run* two parallel DLLs, though.

Cygwin finds the fstab files by fetching it's own Win32 path and then
replacing the last two path components with etc/fstab or
etc/fstab.<usersid>, like this:

  Get own path   ==> C:\\cygwin\\bin\\cygwin1.dll
  Where's fstab? ==> C:\\cygwin\\etc\\fstab

The layout of the fstab file follows the Linux layout.  As example,
these are my fstab files:

  $ cat /etc/fstab
  C:\cygwin / ntfs binary 0 0
  C:\cygwin\bin /usr/bin ntfs binary 0 0
  C:\cygwin\lib /usr/lib ntfs binary 0 0
  C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts ntfs binary 0 0
  \\fs01\archiv /home/archiv smbfs binary 0 0
  cygdrive /mnt auto binary 0 0

  $ cat /etc/fstab.S-1-5-21-1220945662-261903793-725345543-1003
  C:\cygwin\home\corinna\textmode-dir /home/corinna/textmode-dir ntfs text 0 0
  c:\cygwin\home\corinna\managed /home/corinna/managed ntfs binary,managed 0 0

Leading spaces and tabs are ignored.  Spaces and tabs are field
separators.  Lines starting with a # are skipped.  Maximum line length
is 64K.  Malformed lines are ignored.

First string:    Native path.
		 The special string "cygdrive" allows to specify the
		 cygdrive prefix.
		 Max length 260 bytes for now.

Second string:   POSIX path.  For "cygdrive" the cygdrive prefix.
		 Max length 260 bytes for now.

Thirds string:   FS type, ignored.

Forth string:    Flags list, separated by comma.
	         Valid flags: binary,text,exec,notexec,cygexec,nosuid,managed.
	         For a description, see Cygwin's `man mount'

Fifth and sixth string: Ignored.

FAQ:  Q: Where do I get my SID from?
      A: See your /etc/passwd entry, the string starting with S-1-.

Red Hat