Re: Emacs is coming back - please test

According to Steffen Sledz on 7/8/2007 4:23 PM:
> Here are the results of my first try to build official emacs packages of
> version 22.1. Because this is my first work as a maintainer it is marked
> as experimental. It would be nice if someone could check them and give
> me some feedback.
>
> The base package including everything to run without X11 and the sources:
>
> <http://www.zone42.org/cygwin/emacs/emacs-22.1-1.tar.bz2>
> <http://www.zone42.org/cygwin/emacs/emacs-22.1-1-src.tar.bz2>
> <http://www.zone42.org/cygwin/emacs/setup.hint>

Why does this depend on libintl1?  Did you mean libintl8?

Why did the package grow from 8meg to 17meg?  Not necessarily a problem,
if there is a good reason for it, but it seems a bit odd.

> The X11 binary:
>
> <http://www.zone42.org/cygwin/emacs/emacs-X11/emacs-X11-22.1-1.tar.bz2>
> <http://www.zone42.org/cygwin/emacs/emacs-X11/setup.hint>

The binary worked for me on XP, with cygwin 1.5.24-2.  If you can adjust
your packaging to use alternatives (see my earlier mail), then I think you
are ready to have your package uploaded to cygwin.com, and that you
deserve a gold star for taking on this giant project.

Not so obvious is that since emacs has been changed so extensively between
21.x and 22.1, that all my .emacs customizations needed tweaking to align
to the new way of doing things (for example,
read-file-name-completion-ignore-case is new, whereas I used to use
completion-ignore-case).  But that is not a packaging bug, just upstream
progress.

> The lisp sources (including LEIM sources):
>
> <http://www.zone42.org/cygwin/emacs/emacs-el/emacs-el-22.1-1.tar.bz2>
> <http://www.zone42.org/cygwin/emacs/emacs-el/setup.hint>

Why did the package shrink from 4.5meg down to .6meg?  Could this account
for some of the increase in the size of the base emacs package?

> LEIM is obsolete as an own package. This is an empty package moving
> emacs-leim to _obsolete:
>
> <http://www.zone42.org/cygwin/emacs/emacs-leim/emacs-leim-22.1-1.tar.bz2>
> <http://www.zone42.org/cygwin/emacs/emacs-leim/setup.hint>

Looks correct for doing the obsoletion.