This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: [Packaging error] Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mingw-runtime-3.12-1
- From: Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 14:24:13 -0400
- Subject: Re: [Packaging error] Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mingw-runtime-3.12-1
- References: <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <20070404051157.GB16539@ednor.casa.cgf.cx> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <Pine.GSO.email@example.com> <20070404151537.GL20261@calimero.vinschen.de> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20070404182056.GA17871@ednor.casa.cgf.cx>
- Reply-to: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 02:20:56PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 11:28:30AM -0400, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
>>>I'm somewhat unhappy with the idea to include MingW man pages in a
>>>Cygwin installation. Cygwin and MingW are just two different beasts, no
>>>matter that they run on the same base OS. I would prefer either not to
>>>install MingW man pages at all in Cygwin, or to create a specific
>>>mingw-manpages package which installs the man pages in a MingW specific
>>>folder like, say, /usr/share/doc/mingw/man. This package should only be
>>>installed on explicit request by the user. It could come with .sh and a
>>>.csh shell script in /etc/profile.d which sets MANPATH as
>>>/etc/profile.d/openssl.*sh does. OTOH, the requirement to prefix the
>>>man pages with "mingw-" would still exist so that no user confuses MingW
>>>and Cygwin man pages. Am I overcomplicating things?
>>It seems that the general consensus is that the man pages should not
>>be installed as part of the package. I don't know if there is much of
>>a point installing them to a different location, since the MANPATH
>>would need to manually be updated, or the user would need to execute a
>>script to have the MANPATH updated 'automatically'.
>I think we have a minor disagreement here...
Or, maybe not, after reading Corinna's reply in the cygwin list...