This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: [ITP] util-linux
- From: Charles Wilson <cygwin at cwilson dot fastmail dot fm>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:08:53 -0500
- Subject: Re: [ITP] util-linux
- References: <4404D661.firstname.lastname@example.org>
Yaakov S (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
agetty.exe blockdev.exe lvtune.exe fsck.cramfs fsck.minix mkfs.bfs
mkfs.cramfs /mkfs.exe mkfs.minix mkswap.exe sln.exe
cal.exe chkdupexe clear col.exe colcrt.exe colrm.exe column.exe
cytune.exe ddate.exe flock.exe getopt.exe hexdump.exe ipcrm.exe ipcs.exe
isosize.exe line.exe logger.exe look.exe mcookie.exe namei.exe pg.exe
rename.exe renice.exe reset rev.exe script.exe scriptreplay setsid.exe
setterm.exe tailf.exe ul.exe whereis.exe write.exe
ramsize.exe rdev.exe rootflags.exe vidmode.exe
Instead of continuing to overload cygutils with more utilities, I would
like to propose this instead.
The following issues need to be considered:
1) agetty, more, and setsid would have to be marked _obsolete; I have
patched all these programs based on the existing packages.
2) clear and reset, already marked _obsolete, are also included here.
These don't collide with ncurses, however, since these versions are
scripts and ncurses are .exe's.
3) The following programs and manpages would have to be removed
simultaneously from cygutils: cal col colcrt colrm column ddate getopt
mcookie namei rename rev.
I have no objection to removing stuff from cygutils in favor of this
package (especially as my versions were deliberately gettext-deficient).
However, you've missed a few collisions:
ipck -- in cygutils
ipcrm.exe -- in main cygwin pkg [*]
ipcs.exe -- in main cygwin pkg [*]
logger -- in inetutils
[*] these two are very closely tied to cygserver, and probably should
continue to be maintained in the winsup repository and NOT in an
external package like util-linux.
Question: do ALL of the utilities listed above actually *work*, or
merely compile? If some are the latter, I think each should be removed
from your proposed package until they do.