Re: [ITP] perl-Tk

On Nov 20 00:34, Charles Wilson wrote:
> Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
>
> >Hence the suggestion of using the features provided by the
> >alternatives package.  Am I correct in assuming this works even for
> >dynamically loaded dlls?
> >

> No.  It works for .so's on Linux, because the Linux loader understands
> symlinks.  Cygwin piggybacks on the Window Runtime Loader, which does
> NOT understand symlinks (nor shortcuts!).  Because alternatives relies
> entirely on symlinks, it doesn't work for DLLs on windows.

Though Windows Vista will introduce a new concept on NTFS called
"symlinks", it seems it won't help alternatives.  The Windows loader
doesn't understand those "native" symlinks, at least not in my Beta 1
version.  It still bails out with "Application couldn't be initialized
properly (0xc0000022)".  And the way file attributes are handled in
symlinks is not as transparent, as they apparently intended to make it.

Too bad, I don't know how to contact the Windows developers to discuss
if that couldn't be changed before Vista hits the market.

Red Hat, Inc.