RE: screen

Could somebody *please* explain to me why screen is in any way useful on a system with even a semblance of a window manager? I can see the point of screen on a stripped-down text-only system, but when you can open up any number of rxvt+bash's and ALT-TAB between them...

...what am I missing? And I'm not picking on you Andy, I keep hearing how wonderful this screen progam is, and I have yet to meet anybody who can tell me why.

sometimes the machine you need lots of terminals on is remote, rather than local. in that case, screen is extremely useful. it also saves you from having to manage windows, which is often counterproductive and keeps you from doing 'real' work.

--elijah