Re: wget postinstall and setup

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 01:31:01PM -0500, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> >The wget postinstall is doing a cp.  As discussed earlier, a cp does
> >not preserve the ACL and any cp done in a postinstall script must be
> >accompanied by a "touch" to create the new file before copying unto it
> >(see e.g.  as in man.sh), or a "chmod" to set reasonable permissions
> >after the copying (e.g.  as in openldap.sh).  If that's not done, the
> >user may end up having unreadable files.  Sorry I didn't notice that
> >earlier.
>
> Wouldt "cp -p" not do the right thing in this case?

Nope. The issue (there is an old thread) is that the relevant access
rights in the original file are in special acl entries, not in
owner/group/world. Unix tools don't copy them.
With nontsec, the script uses the Windows default, which is always
OK (see below).

Using install -m would work, but it's again imposing a constraint
on all maintainers. Another drawback of {touch, chmod, install}
is that you end up with file permissions that are different from
the files installed by setup, possibly leading to problems during
uninstall.
There is no drawback using nontsec because that's how all other
files were installed in the first place.

Pierre