Re: Setup.exe "Keep mode" bug

Max Bowsher wrote:
> > The setup version currently on the Cygwin web site exhibits the following
> > behavior: in "Keep" mode, it was impossible to select the new version of
> > the Cygwin package for the upgrade.
>
> I'm somehow not surprised. Those horribly twiddly-cycle controls in setup
> are distressingly buggy. I've been speculating on how to change them into
> drop-down lists.

On this same note,  while working on an installation issue on my machine I was
trying to deinstall all the gcc/g++ packages in order to reinstall them fresh
(without simply using the reinstall option).

Because of the dependencies and the way the twiddly-cycle options work - I
would select part of gcc/g++ for uninstall and then when I would go to another
part of the gcc/g++ packages to select uninstall (which passes though keep and
reinstall on it way to uninstall) - it would change the previous package again
to keep/reinstall even though I selected uninstall for it.

Try it and you will see what I mean.

I had to select the ones I could and uninstall and then keep trying until I got
them all.  The only other way I could think of was to possibly uninstall by
category but that would have actually gotten more than I wanted to at that
point in time.

Not sure how the logic can be changed but it almost needs to not look at the
dependencies until your selection for that line is complete ( ie you click
somewhere else) but this is a problem if your next click is for the Next button
which will do the install and you may not have reviewed the auto added
dependencies yet and want to.

bk