Re: [ITP] bashdb, bash_completion

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 08:34:45PM +0200, Reini Urban wrote:
>Christopher Faylor schrieb:
>>I read your email.  I guess my mind boggled at the concept that anyone
>>would be so..., er, bold as to assume that they could trump someone else's
>>package by using the name "bash.exe" when there is already an extremely
>>well-known package which uses that name.
>>
>>As I said.  Work this out with Ronald.
>>
>>And please don't send any more "ITPs" which wipe out other parts of
>>people's packages.
>
>Why not?
>Shouldn't it be up to the user to make this decision?

In theory we try to protect the user from the consequences of bad
decisions on the part of packaging.

If a user has installed bash and bashdb and then reports a problem with
bash.exe should you or Ronald get involved?

What will cygcheck report if you type "cygcheck -l bash" and bashdb
is installed?

What happens when Ronald releases a new version of bash and it wipes
out the bash.exe that bashdb has just installed?

How is Ronald going to feel about your increasing his tech support burden
by requiring that he spend more time figuring out if a user is talking
about bash or bashdb?

How much extra mailing list traffic do you think will be generated when
someone on the cygwin list says "Me am newbie.  Me not find bash.  Me
need bash." and Larry Hall tells them to use the cygwin package search
to find bash.exe?

cgf

(Now, this is the point where everyone scrambles to the the cygwin
distribution and finds seven instances where a package wipes out another
package's files and says "See! See! We already DOOOOO IT!!!")