setup.exe support for obsolete packages

Let me preface this by saying that I am not going to make a crass decision that creates a mess in the package list.

Due to the reality of what Cygwin/X is as well as to recent events in the X community, I wish to rename the packages for Cygwin/X upon the next major release. Here is a brief summary of the reasons:

1) Cygwin/X has never been a distribution of "XFree86" per se. We distribute libraries and clients that have patches applied by them, but we have never distributed the real fruit of their project, which is the XFree86 X Server (which is basically for *nix-like OSes with direct access to the graphics hardware). Our server is distinct from the XFree86 server.

2) Since we are not really distributing XFree86, it is misleading to call our packages XFree86-*.

3) Due to lack of cooperation, personality conflicts, and license issues, future Cygwin/X distributions will come from the X.Org Foundation project. The source code tree is hosted at freedesktop.org. Thus, having the XFree86 name in our packages becomes even more misleading.

4) We aim to slowly replace the X.Org Monolithic build with the X.Org Modular build (xserver, xlibs, and xapps projects at freedesktop.org). Thus, our xserver package may one day come from X.Org Monolithic and the next day (and from then on) it will come from the X.Org Modular tree. Eventually all of our libraries and clients will be in individual packages; it will be confusing to users if there is a compatibility package called xapps or xbin lying around that contains nothing.

Dealing with such a rename with the current version of setup.exe would cause a real mess. If I rename the packages, then I have to leave about 12 XFree86-* packages out there that are empty. I would really like a way to suppress those packages from showing up as being newly installable, yet still getting the functionality of forcing them to be essentially uninstalled on the next upgrade that a user performs.

I would also like the XFree86 category to be renamed to X11, though I believe this can be accomplished by just changing any setup.hints that refer to the XFree86 category to instead refer to the X11 category.

As I said above, I'm not going to rename the packages en mass if I don't have a way to suppress the obsolete packages from being shown in setup.exe's list of installable packages. I'll just have to leave the package names mostly as is in that case.

Is anyone interested in helping the Cygwin/X project by adding this functionality to Cygwin's setup.exe? I would really appreciate the help since I will be busy trying to get this X.Org release ready.

On a side note, I can think of at least two ways to add this functionality:

1) Add a tag to setup.hint (which as to be processed by both setup.exe and the upset script) that indicates that a package should not be selectable for installation since it is obsolete.

2) Add a magic category call Obsolete. Just adapt setup.exe to not show this category, yet allow it to process all packages in this category as normal (e.g. replacing the real package prefix-foo-1.0-1 with the empty prefix-foo-1.0-2 compatibility package when prefix-foo is renamed to just foo).

Thanks in advance,

Harold