Re: [UPDATE] apache-1.3.29-1 ready for testing and upload

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Stipe Tolj wrote:
>
> > Hi list,
> >
> > ok, long awaited, I know. Here goes the update on apache-1.3.29-1:
> > [snip]
> > the packageing has been made the same way as old 1.3.24-5. So please
> > no complains about this. If you have suggestions, please post. I'm
> > open to those ;)
>
> I don't know if it's a packaging issue, but is this a good time to bring
> up the postinstall script issue?  To remind people, when the /var/www.new
> gets renamed to /var/www in the postinstall script, "cygcheck -c" gets
> confused and reports the package as incomplete...  I'm not sure what a
> good way to fix this would be, but suggestions on this might be helpful
> now, while we got the apache maintainer "on the line", so to say...

I was thinking that you could have postinstall.sh modify
/etc/setup/apache.lst.gz if it copies over the .new versions (i.e.
there's no existing user configuration.)  The problem here is the
following scenario: User installs Apache the first time.  postinstall
sees that there's no existing config, and so it moves the -dist version
into /etc/apache and /var/www.  User then tweaks httpd.conf, and adds
content to /var/www.  Later on, user wants to remove the Apache package,
perhaps temporarily while upgrading or something.  Setup nukes the files
listed in /etc/setup/apache.lst, which includes the user's modified
httpd.conf and possibly modified stuff in /var/www.  User is now mad
that his config is gone.

What if the apache package installs these default files into
/usr/share/apache and leaves them there.  If there's no /etc/apache,
then create it and copy over the default configs there, otherwise don't
touch it.  Instead of copying over the manual and icons and stuff into
/var/www, just modify the default httpd.conf so that those things are
served directly from /usr/share/apache.  Then it can just copy the
"congratulations, you've installed apache" index.html into /var/www (if
there's not an existing one), and leave the rest of that directory for
the users to do whatever they want.  That way setup never touches the
user's docroot and configs, and the manual and other -dist stuff can
still be replaced/upgraded by setup.

Brian