Re: [ITP] trie-gen 1.1

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 11:49:12PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> >> This can't be a coincidence, right?  I just asked for something like this
> >> over in cygwin-developers.
> >>
> >> Did you find this through google?  libg++ is pretty ancient.
> >> cgf
> >
> >Well, sort of.  I suggested tries in reply to Corinna's message just
> >before I got yours, and a Google search for "gperf" turned up "trie-gen"
> >for me.  Finding a reasonably recent source was quite another story.
>
> Huh.  I somehow missed your message in cygwin-developers.  I just checked
> now and there it was.  Sorry for the confusion.
>
> >Does anyone know of a newer version?  Maybe even one that's still under
> >development?
>
> I'm using tries for the mount table in another ancient sandbox, so I've
> always had tries in the back of my mind for this application in cygwin.
> My tenth google search unearthed the 'shilka' package which seems to do
> what I want.  I've got my branch built using that package so I may just
> switch to it.
>
> http://cocom.sourceforge.net/shilka.html
>
> While I know some of the guys who wrote trie-gen, I also know and respect
> the person who wrote shilka and, in fact, he'll be working for me at
> Red Hat next week, oddly enough.  Shilka builds out of the box on linux
> and I suspect it will build fine on cygwin, too.  Would you be interested
> in packaging the cocom package (of which shilka is a part) for cygwin?
>
> cgf

Yes, Googling for "tries" is a pain, isn't it?

I thought you might know the trie-gen people, as the ChangeLog is
sprinkled with @cygnus addresses.

Unfortunately, as I said in my earlier message about pdksh and splint, I'm
in a pretty uncertain job situation at the moment, and there's no
guarantee my next job will even allow me to continue my previous
maintainership commitments, let alone new ones.  I'll know better about
two weeks from now, at which point I'll consider maintaining some of the
other packages (including cocom) if I can.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu