This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
[Ready for test/1.5.1] cygipc-2.01-1
- From: "Charles Wilson" <cygwin at cwilson dot fastmail dot fm>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 22:24:11 -0400
- Subject: [Ready for test/1.5.1] cygipc-2.01-1
This announcement is in two parts. One details the differences between
this 2.01-1/cygwin-1.5.1 test release and the earlier 2.00-2/cygwin-1.5.0
test release. The second is a more generic announcement about this "NEW"
package (it's still new since it's never actually made it to curr:)
---- differences from cygipc-2.00-2 ----
* Built library as DLL 'cygcygipc-2.dll'; provide import and static
* Link daemon dynamically
* Move documentation to /usr/share/*
* recompiled against cygwin-1.5.1
---- generic announcement about the new cygipc package ----
Yes, it's finally happened. I've made cygipc into an official package.
Some notable differences between THIS release and the older 1.14 version:
MOST IMPORTANTLY, it is NOT compatible with 1.14 AT ALL. projects
compiled against libcygipc(1.14) will NOT work with the daemon from 2.00,
nor vice versa. HOWEVER, the two daemons CAN both be installed -- and
run -- on the same machine simultaneously. (* see developer's note,
1. daemon is now called "ipc-daemon2.exe". It uses a different namespace
for its /tmp files, and a different namespace for its global objects.
(therefore, it can coexist with the older daemon; both can be installed
on your system together, until the older one is no longer needed for
2. The library is now a DLL. ipc-daemon2.exe is linked dynamically
3. Use 64 bit key_t
4. Use the ftok() exported by cygwin-1.5.x; don't provide private
5. remove ipck, ipcs, and ipcrm from the distro (now provided by
6. remove semtool, shmtool, and msgtool (have been in cygutils for a
7. Much improvement in the shm code (Michael Haubenwallne)
a. shm handles forks
b. shm works better with multiprocess (the whole point, after
8. General bugfixes (Joe Buehler, MH)
9. semctl(SETALL) now conforms to the standard (MH)
10. semctl(GETALL) implemented (MH)
11. semaphores now persistent until explicitly removed, or system
reboot/ipc-daemon shutdown. (JB)
12. Automatic removal of /tmp/MultiFileXXX files on [normal] daemon
13. installs into /usr/* instead of /usr/local/*
14. documentation moved to /usr/share/*
This is a lot of changes; I expect growing pains. But, it's a .01
release, so what did you expect?
Oh, and one other thing: I STILL expect that eventually, cygipc will
become obsolete, and that cygserver will replace it. I am fully
committed to helping make cygipc obsolete...
cygwin at removespam cwilson dot fastmail dot fm