Re: [ITP] wtf

Ronald,

Replies inline below.

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 08:56:57AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > Great, that makes 3 votes.  Now all I have to do is get someone to review
> > the packaging (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).
> FWIW, I've installed the binary - it seems to be working nicely. I've tried
> bowth wtf and wtfindex.
> I've also recompiled the source to see if I can - no problems..

Great.  Is the packaging structure ok?  Should I move the manpages to
/usr/share/man while I'm at it?

> > I don't see a particular value in weeding out duplicates, as all variants
> > will be displayed, so no information is lost.
> Actually, they only get displayed if they're in different files - bug?

Umm, no, a feature.  Basically, the files are indexed by the acronym, so
duplicate entries in the same file get lost.  Since different files use
different indices...  In short, this is unlikely to change any time soon.

> > However, I'll see if I could "hide" the original acronyms...
> The thing that got me to ask was this:
> $ wtf iirc
> iirc: If I Recall Correctly
> iirc: if I recall correctly

Ah, yes, I see.  Well, I'll try to work on this in the next release,
maybe.  Otherwise, this is not too harmful.

> and personally, I think this may come off as odd:
> $ wtf iwfm
> iwfm: It Works For Me.  Also WFM. Corinna, you want credit for this one?
>
> someone not familiar with the web version of the OLOCA might frown at this..
> I don't really mind, though..

Agreed.  However, in the interests of expediency, I'm going to keep the
automatic transformation of the web version for now.

> However, there are some things not quite in accordance with the wtf way of
> doing things in the OLOCA:
>
> $ wtf Cygwin
> Cygwin: Multiple variants have been suggested, take your pick:  Coolness You Get Where Initially None (mine) Can You Guess What's Implemented Next (mine) Cramming Your Gut With Indispensable Necessities (Gary R. Van Sickle) Cygwin: Your Greatest Winner In Necessities (Ronald Landheer-Cieslak) Can't You Get With It, Ninnies? (Christopher Faylor)
>
> IMHO, this should be
> $ wtf Cygwin
> Cygwin: Coolness You Get Where Initially None (mine)
> Cygwin: Can You Guess What's Implemented Next (mine)
> Cygwin: Cramming Your Gut With Indispensable Necessities (Gary R. Van Sickle)
> Cygwin: Cygwin: Your Greatest Winner In Necessities (Ronald Landheer-Cieslak)
> Cygwin: Can't You Get With It, Ninnies? (Christopher Faylor)

How about
$ wtf Cygwin
Cygwin: Multiple variants have been suggested, take your pick:
- Coolness You Get Where Initially None (mine)
- Can You Guess What's Implemented Next (mine)
- Cramming Your Gut With Indispensable Necessities (Gary R. Van Sickle)
- Cygwin: Your Greatest Winner In Necessities (Ronald Landheer-Cieslak)
- Can't You Get With It, Ninnies? (Christopher Faylor)
? ;-)

> but I don't see how to do that at the moment - at least not without either
> patching wtf so it takes multiple entries for the same acronym in a single
> file into account, or making several files for the various duplicates..
>
> Hmm.. this looks like a PTC situation..

Well, I've done this by reformatting the list entries for 80-column
screen.  Those with larger ones can always reformat it (see the README).
I'll see about getting some way of encoding newlines into the descriptions
and passing the patch to the upstream maintainer.

> Anyways, this doesn't alter my vote in any way :)
>
> Perhaps, if I have the time @ home, I'll work out a patch to handle different
> meanings for the same acronym "correctly" .. perhaps ..
> <lament>
>         ah, for time
>         'tis such a precious gift
>         wasting it's a heinous crime
>         for it should be spent in thrift
> </lament>
>
> rlc

Ok.  I've posted a new version of the package (at the URLs quoted below).
It contains the updates from the web version of the OLOCA (including "JAT"
and "JTYMLTK"), as well as better formatting for the Cygwin acronym.  This
one is actually ready to be uploaded.  Thanks for the reviews and the
votes.
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/