Re: Proposal: naim

Daniel Reed wrote:
> On 2003-07-11T10:25-0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> ) On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Daniel Reed wrote:
> ) >  requires: libncurses6 cygwin
> )              ^^^^^^^^^^^
> ) Shouldn't this be libncurses7 already?
>
> naim should function with any version of ncurses since 4.0
(libncurses[5-7]
> are all ncurses-5.x releases). I was confused to see such a major
> distinction between two 5.2's and 5.3 in Cygwin (major enough to warrant
> separate package names), so I just picked the oldest one that people might
> have installed that didn't have the word "compatibility" in it, which was
6.
> Any of the ones available now should work equally well, so I'll bump it to
> libncurses7 if 5 and 6 are being phased out--it's just that there's no
need
> to require 7 if you already have 5 or 6 installed.

Despite the sdesc, I believe 6 is a compatibility package too, and 5 and 6
are only still around until all packages using them have been recompiled.

As for the "major distinction". When an ABI change is made upstream, the DLL
version number has to change. But the old DLL will still be required until
all client packages have been recompiled.

Anyway, I think you may safely assume that the current version of the
libncurses-devel package will link you to the correct DLL - which would be
7.

Max.