Re: Unisys patent

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Gareth Pearce wrote:
> erm - not to rain on this ... but is it a good idea if the patent has
> only expired in america?
>From http://www.unisys.com/about__unisys/lzw:

The U.S. LZW patent expires June 20, 2003, the counterpart Canadian patent
expires July 7, 2004, the counterpart patents in the United Kingdom,
France, Germany and Italy expire June 18, 2004, and the Japanese
counterpart patents expire June 20, 2004.

Let's wait at least until June 21, 2004, OK?

Personally, I (currently) live in France, which would mean that if an
LZW-enabled libtiff is distributed by Cygwin, I'll probably be breaking
the law for at least a year.. (unless I move to the US, which I don't
intend to do just so I can use libtiff legaly)

Sorry, but I don't think this is a good idea..

rlc