This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
RPM and shared library support
- From: Dario Alcocer <alcocer at helixdigital dot com>
- To: cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com
- Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 00:26:05 -0700
- Subject: RPM and shared library support
Chuck Wilson has suggested that RPM dynamically link to the Berkeley
DB database shared library; I imagine this would go for zlib, too.
Well, perusing the RPM mailing list archive, it turns out that it's a
little more involved. According to Jeff Johnson, RPM purposely uses
modified versions of zlib, db4, beecrypt and libelf, which is why the
libraries are embedded in the RPM tarball distribution.
* zlib uses 16MB uncompress buffer for RPM speed-up.
* zlib includes the 'rsync ready' patch.
* db4 compiled with --with-uniquename=_rpmd.
* beecrypt has "a home-rolled, Knuth based, gcd mod invert function to
work around a bug in DSA signature verification."
* RPM uses libelf gelf_XXX() API which has been widely deployed.
Bottom line, folding in subordinate shared library support to the
upstream RPM 4.x release might take a while. So, the question
becomes: can we move on to shared RPM development libraries
(/usr/lib/librpmdb*.dll) without support for subordinate shared library
 - http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-03/msg00526.html
 - I think the following URL is only available to rpm-list
Dario Alcocer -- Sr. Software Developer, Helix Digital Inc.
email@example.com -- http://www.helixdigital.com